Language And Country
Every quarter, our fund managers analyse trends in the global economy and financial markets. Read their views on the first quarter of 2021.
- Structural obstacles to economic growth persist, but growth could be temporarily accelerated by cyclical factors.
- The trend towards higher public spending points towards higher inflation in the longer term.
- While monetary and fiscal orthodoxy is crumbling in the West, it still prevails in the East.
- Equity valuations increased in 2020 for the second consecutive year and are now at high levels.
- High multiples will weigh on future returns.
- In an environment in which interest rates are kept at artificially low levels, equities can serve as a hedge in a higher inflation regime.